When I Cast Your Shadow: {ARC Review}

Publication date: September 12th, 2017
Publisher: Tor Teen
Series: None
Format: e-ARC
Source: Netgalley
ADD TO GOODREADS
Amazon

Dashiell Bohnacker was hell on his family while he was alive. But it's even worse now that he's dead....

After her troubled older brother, Dashiell, dies of an overdose, sixteen-year-old Ruby is overcome by grief and longing. What she doesn't know is that Dashiell's ghost is using her nightly dreams of him as a way to possess her body and to persuade her twin brother, Everett, to submit to possession as well.

Dashiell tells Everett that he's returned from the Land of the Dead to tie up loose ends, but he's actually on the run from forces crueler and more powerful than anything the Bohnacker twins have ever imagined....



** I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**

Trigger Warning: 
Suicide
Mentions of possible rape
Drug use

I prepared myself to go into this with an open mind, because the synopsis sounded really intriguing but I knew I would either love it or hate it.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the story and it's concept, but the execution and some of the characters just made it a drag. 

First of all, Ruby was just a horrible character. Her love for her older brother was understandable, but it was pretty much an obsession and borderline incest with how in love with him she was. For example, Dashiell gives her a slow kiss on the lips in her twin's body, and that was just too freaking creepy. There was nothing brotherly about that. Ruby also put her love for Dashiell above her twin, who was actually still alive. It left Everett feeling hurt and angry, and Ruby didn't really care. Even at the end of the book Ruby was still willing to have Dashiell inhabit her body in order to keep him in their world, even if it meant losing herself in the process. It was just infuriating how careless she was about herself. Even one of her friends made better choices when it came to the spirits. 

Everett was the only really good character in the story. He fought so hard to protect Ruby, and yet he constantly got shit on by her and Dashiell. I felt bad for him for how he was treated. Dashiell was just a selfish person in life and in death, but at least in the end he redeemed himself. 

The pacing was rather slow and when it came to information, there was way too much rambling throughout. I had to put this one down a few times because I was just SO bored because nothing important was happening except a lot of rambling. Nothing really exciting happened until about 90% through. 

I will say that Sarah Porter did an amazing job creating this in between world that basically showed you your worst nightmares. It was very creepy whenever a scene or character would be there, especially Mabel and the dollhouse man.


When I Cast Your Shadow would have been much better with a faster pacing and less rambling, but fans of the creepy and supernatural might still enjoy it. 

                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top