Dark Breaks the Dawn: {ARC review}

Publication date: May 30th, 2017
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Series: Untitled #1
Format: Paperback ARC, 320 pages
Source: ALAMW17
ADD TO GOODREADS
Amazon

On her eighteenth birthday, Princess Evelayn of Eadrolan, the Light Kingdom, can finally access the full range of her magical powers. The light looks brighter, the air is sharper, and the energy she can draw when fighting feels almost limitless. 

But while her mother, the queen, remains busy at the war front, in the Dark Kingdom of Dorjhalon, the corrupt king is plotting. King Bain wants control of both kingdoms, and his plan will fling Evelayn onto the throne much sooner than she expected. 

In order to defeat Bain and his sons, Evelayn will quickly have to come into her ability to shapeshift, and rely on the alluring Lord Tanvir. But not everyone is what they seem, and the balance between the Light and Dark comes at a steep price.





This story is a fantasy rendition of Swan Lake, which I am not 100% familiar with, so I went in with zero expectations. I loved the cover and as soon as I read the synopsis, I was immediately intrigued. Larson wrote a powerful story with complicated magic, gorgeous writing, and characters that had every color hair and skin imaginable. 

Evelayn's kingdom is considered the "Light" kingdom, and her rival, King Bain is the cruel and ruthless leader of the "Dark" kingdom. The two have been at war for over ten years, with no sign of stopping. Princess Evelayn has barely come into her powers when something terrible happens, and she is forced to work to try and defeat Bain before he comes for her kingdom, and for her crown. 

The first part of the story is a little slow while Evelayn is learning about her new powers, but it picks up during the second half. There are also POV's from the Dark kingdom, as well as from Evelayn's childhood friend, Ceren. It was not confusing like I thought it would be. 

One thing I really wish had been written better was the romance. It felt EXTREMELY insta-lovey from the get go. They really did not have any time to develop a romance with everything going on around them. So it was love way too soon in the game for them. While Lord Tanvir definitely seemed to be a good suitor, it just felt way too rushed in the scheme of things. 

While the concept of this novel was nothing new, the way Larson wrote and executed it made it feel fresh. I loved how royals are born with conduit stones that allow them to access their magic. I'm eager to learn how they came to be since it was revealed that even the royals had no idea where they came from. 

The ending left me completely speechless. On one hand, I totally knew that one character would never be good, I totally did not expect what actually transpired. In all of the books that I have read, I have only been truly shocked and surprised at the endings a handful of times, and this was definitely one of them. It left me immediately wanting to read book two because two character lives have been drastically altered forever. 

Dark Breaks the Dawn is a quick and fun fantasy that will leave you breathless and immediately wanting more.

            

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so glad it was good! I have been dying to read it ever since I saw that cover...and I've had it for awhile but I haven't had the chance to read it. So I'm happy to read a good one!
    @TeacherofYA

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top