Toward a Secret Sky: {ARC Review}

Publication Date: April 4th, 2016
Publisher: Blink
Series: None yet
Format: e-ARC
Source: Netgalley
ADD TO GOODREADS
Amazon

Shortly after 17-year-old Maren Hamilton is orphaned and sent to live with grandparents she’s never met in Scotland, she receives an encrypted journal from her dead mother that makes her and everyone around her a target. It confirms that her parents were employed by a secret, international organization that’s now intent on recruiting her. As Maren works to unravel the clues left behind by her mother, a murderous madness sweeps through the local population, terrorizing her small town. Maren must decide if she’ll continue her parents’ fight or stay behind to save her friends.

With the help of Gavin, an otherworldly mercenary she’s not supposed to fall in love with, and Graham, a charming aristocrat who is entranced with her, Maren races against the clock and around the country from palatial estates with twisted labyrinths to famous cathedrals with booby-trapped subterranean crypts to stay ahead of the enemy and find a cure. Along the way, she discovers the great truth of love: that laying down your life for another isn’t as hard as watching them sacrifice everything for you.


Toward a Secret Sky was a book that I thought I would love. It had all the right elements-forbidden romance, demons, angels, and of course, SCOTLAND! I love all things Scotland thanks to Outlander. Unfortunately, the combination of those things did not make me love the book like I thought I would.

The main thing that turned me off from the book was the insane insta-love. Maren fell for Gavin immediately. She sees him once in the woods and bam, she's in love with him. I swear my eyes were going to roll out of my head from all of her pining after him. Maren was smart, I mean really smart. She could solve intricate puzzles and mysteries like nobody else around her, yet she still fell in love with a complete stranger. Typical Mary Sue.

Gavin, on the other hand was awesome until the second half. He was trying to stay away from Maren because he knew what would happen if they fell in love. Unfortunately, once he gave into his feelings, he became a much weaker character.

Their "romance" took a lot of potential away from the story. The world building was amazing and the storyline was great but the romance just muddled everything. For instance, Maren's best friend is DYING in a hospital room and all Maren can think about is Gavin kissing her. I mean, really? I understand that this is a book directed at teenagers, but I think most teenagers would be more worried about the life of a friend rather than a hot guy.

While I did not enjoy the romance that took away from the story, the ending and the inclusion of the Abbey has me wanting to continue the series to see what will happen. There is so much more to learn, I just hope Maren grows up a little in the next book and puts romance on the back burner.

                   

2 comments:

  1. She is coming to Michigan on April 5 and I have the book from NG too so I'm hoping I get a chance to read it before she comes. I'm hoping I'll love it but I may not after seeing so many mixed reviews for this one.
    Great job!
    @TeacherofYA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats exciting! I bet that will be fun. :) It's definitely one of those that you will either love or hate, so hopefully you love it!
      Thank you. :)

      Delete

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top