Strange the Dreamer: {ARC + DNF Review}

Publication date: March 28th, 2017
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Series: Strange the Dreamer #1
Format: Paperback ARC, 544 pages
Source: ALAMW
ADD TO GOODREADS
Amazon

The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around—and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he's been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance to lose his dream forever.


What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo's dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? and if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?


In this sweeping and breathtaking new novel by National Book Award finalist Laini Taylor, author of the New York Timesbestselling Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, the shadow of the past is as real as the ghosts who haunt the citadel of murdered gods. Fall into a mythical world of dread and wonder, moths and nightmares, love and carnage.
Welcome to Weep. 




The hype surrounding this book was extremely high, so when I heard it was about to drop at ALAMW, I ran out of Chick-Fil-A so I could get in line. There were already about 30 people in line so I was doubtful that I would get a copy, but I still stayed in line. To my surprise, I was the last person to get it, and there were still 20-30 people behind me. I felt like the luckiest person in the world, and couldn't wait to eventually read it. Unfortunately, it didn't work out so I had to DNF it. 

Let me start off by saying that I really love Laini's beautiful descriptive writing. The way she wrote the stories and Lazlo's dreams of Weep were just so lush and vivid. It really was breathtaking to read about. 

Her world building is also fantastic. I mean, Weep sounded like the kind of place that I would have loved to live in. But, with amazing world building often comes with info dumping, and that is exactly what took place in Strange the Dreamer. There were honestly so many characters, back stories, andt things happening within the plot that it was hard to keep up with at times, and it really made me put the book down a few times. 

The pacing was also horrendously slow. It took me TWO WEEKS to get through 80% of the book. It never takes me that long to finish a book. I can usually read a book in about 2-3 days, so this one was really not holding my attention. I was honestly tempted to DNF it SO many times but kept trying to push through. I know 80% is almost the end, but I just didn't care to waste my time on something that I wasn't enjoying. 

Like I said, I really enjoyed her descriptive writing, and I also really liked Lazlo. He was a relatable character with his dreaming, and I wish that had been enough to keep me interested, but it wasn't. 

Hopefully others will enjoy this one, but it wasn't for me. 

4 comments:

  1. I have either heard glowing reviews or DNFs. So you aren't the only one. I'm afraid to pick this up now, lol.
    @TeacherofYA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw some DNFs on Goodreads before I started, but I still wanted to try it. It was just not my cup of tea. Hopefully you have better luck!

      Delete
  2. Interesting! This is the first DNF review I've seen of Strange the Dreamer! I have yet to get my hands on it and I'm definitely curious, but slow pacing in books kills me! Have a great day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some floating around on GR, which is where I looked before I started, which made me even more nervous, haha. It's such an interesting story, but the pacing was just not for me. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top