Glitter: {ARC Review}

Publication Date: October 25th, 2016
Publisher: Random House Books For Young Readers
Series: Unknown
Source: Netgalley
ADD TO GOODREADS
Amazon

Outside the palace of Versailles, it’s modern day. Inside, the people dress, eat, and act like it’s the eighteenth century—with the added bonus of technology to make court life lavish, privileged, and frivolous. The palace has every indulgence, but for one pretty young thing, it’s about to become a very beautiful prison.

When Danica witnesses an act of murder by the young king, her mother makes a cruel power play . . . blackmailing the king into making Dani his queen. When she turns eighteen, Dani will marry the most ruthless and dangerous man of the court. She has six months to escape her terrifying destiny. Six months to raise enough money to disappear into the real world beyond the palace gates. Her ticket out? Glitter. A drug so powerful that a tiny pinch mixed into a pot of rouge or lip gloss can make the wearer hopelessly addicted. Addicted to a drug Dani can sell for more money than she ever dreamed.

But in Versailles, secrets are impossible to keep. And the most dangerous secret—falling for a drug dealer outside the palace walls—is one risk she has to take.


**Thank you to Netgalley and Random House for granting me access to this title in exchange for an honest review. 

First of all, I am obsessed with that cover! It's so pretty! I love the fact that she looks like Marie Antoinette, and the pinks and purples really make it stand out. I definitely need this one for my shelf.

Glitter is definitely one of the most interesting books I have read this year. The combination of people living the 17th century life in Versailles but with modern technology was really appealing to me. I do love historical fiction, especially the 17-18th century.

Dani as a character didn't appeal to me until we find out what took place to get her engaged to the King. Her mother was ruthless, using her daughter to climb the social ranks, without thinking about how Dani felt. I would have done everything in my power to escape a murderous fiancé. I have to give her credit, she was definitely determined. I know she was having a severe battle with her conscious about selling drugs to the people of Versailles, including her own friends, but she knew that was the only way out of her terrifying situation. I can see how many readers might not like her, but I definitely had sympathy for her.

The King was an absolute monster. I just wanted Dani to punch his pompous little a&%. He was just an absolute terror and it was easy to see why Dani would never want to marry him.

The ending made me so anxious because at one point I thought Dani was going to escape her wedding day but then one of the slimiest characters ever threw her a giant curveball. It ended on a huge cliffhanger so if there is a sequel, I'm anxious to see how the story will continue.

Glitter is a very dark and slightly disturbing story about things that appear shiny on the surface, but in reality they are dark, and dangerous.
      



         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top