My Kind of Crazy: ARC Review

Publication Date: April 5th, 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Seres: None
Format: e-ARC
Source: Netgalley
ADD TO GOODREADS
Amazon
Despite the best of intentions, seventeen-year old, wisecracking Hank Kirby can’t quite seem to catch a break. It’s not that he means to screw things up all the time, it just happens. A lot. Case in point: his attempt to ask out the girl he likes literally goes up in flames when he spells “Prom” in sparklers on her lawn…and nearly burns down her house.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, Peyton Breedlove, a brooding loner and budding pyromaniac, witnesses the whole thing. Much to Hank’s dismay, Peyton takes an interest in him—and his “work.” The two are thrust into an unusual friendship, but their boundaries are tested when Hank learns that Peyton is hiding some dark secrets, secrets that may change everything he thought he knew about Peyton.




Thank you to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for granting me access to this title in exchange for an honest review. 

I want to start off by saying, I wanted to love this one. I really did. It sounded cute and different, but slightly cliche. This book has it all: loneliness, depression, death, abuse, alcoholism, etc. Then there is the cliche plot of, "Unpopular boy wants to take the most popular girl to prom so he comes up with a clever way to ask her but it backfires and instead he catches the attention of the weird loner girl who has her own slew of issues that he tries to fix." Whew. That was a long run on sentence. 

Like I said, this could have been really good. It has a lot of tough issues in it but instead of getting the characters the help they needed, the book sort of glossed over them and made everything out to be hunky dory in the end. I mean…..really? Mental health is a serious issue. There is a character in the book that self harms but blames it on a parent and lies to everyone about it. That's not ok. That character needed serious mental help, but nothing like that happened! 

Then there were the characters. Like I said, they all needed some form of therapy for different issues, but nobody real got help, except the one with alcohol issues. Most of the characters were shallow with no real development towards the end. My other issue with the characters was when one character asked another to move with him to the place he was going to college to. They had known each other for a very short time but now they were going to move together? This would have been realistic if the other character had not lied about very important issues and had gotten help for the issues at hand. I just do not really understand what Reul was trying to accomplish with this book. It could have been a good instruction book for mental illness in teens but instead it just breezed over everything like it was ok. 

The setting was very real and relatable, but the plot and characters just did not do it for me. I did enjoy the writing because it added real emotion to the story and it was very well done. 

If you are looking for a book that tackles deep issues in a good way, this is not it. But if you are looking for a quick read about a cliche teenage happening, you might enjoy this one. 

                    

4 comments:

  1. I really liked the sound of this and then the review, doesn't sound like a winner at all. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounded so good but the way it was executed kind of ruined it for me. If you do end up picking it up, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of this before, and it sounded really interesting based off the summary. I love to see different people's opinions on a book - there are some really good reviews of this one up on Goodreads, so it's good to see yours, which contrasts to some of the other ones. Great review!
    And I know you've been blogging at your new site for a while, but I have to say, I love the design! It's beautiful and everything matches so perfectly.
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my main issue was the fact that the serious issues were just brushed aside and not really handled the way they should have been. Plus, the romance did not do it for me. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it.

      Thank you! Blessie did a great job. :)

      Delete

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top