Holding Court: ARC Review

Publication Date: March 1st, 2016
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Series: None
Format: e-ARC
Source: Netgalley
Amazon
ADD TO GOODREADS
Sixteen-year-old Jules Verity knows exactly what's in store at her new job at castle-turned-dinner-theater Tudor Times. Some extra cash, wearing a fancy-pants dress, and plenty of time to secretly drool over the ever-so-tasty--and completely unavailable--Grayson Chandler. Except that it's not quite what she imagined.

For one, the costume Jules has to wear is awful. Then there's the dead body she finds that just kind of...well, disappears. Oh, and there's the small issue of Jules and her episodes of what her best friend calls "Psychic Tourette's Syndrome"--spontaneous and uncontrollable outbursts of seemingly absurd prophecies.

The only bright side? This whole dead body thing seems to have gotten Grayson's attention. Except that the more Jules investigates, the more she discovers that Grayson's interest might not be as courtly as she thought. In fact, it's starting to look suspicious...



Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for granting me access to this title in exchange for an honest review. 

I have been slowly dipping my toes into the YA Contemporary genre over the last few months. There have been good books and bad books, but so far I am really enjoying my time with this genre. As soon as I saw castle turned dinner theater in the synopsis, I knew I had to read this one because I have a love for Medieval Times, the real life dinner show. 

Jules was a cute MC. She struggled with her gift which she attributed to her low social status at school and around town. Her mother and grandmother also had their own gifts, which made Jules and her family even more known as the strange ones. I really wish there had been more backstory on Jules and her family. When did they start getting these gifts? Who else knew about them? There was just a lot of lack of detail when it came to the setting and characters, which brings me to my next point. 

I was really surprised about the characterization of Bree. Her characterization needed more explanation, because the big reveal just kind of happens at the end and then she walks off. I would have loved to have known more about her. 

The plot was well done without being overly obvious. I actually incorrectly guessed who the killer was. The real killer was surprising. The humor balanced out the murder mystery aspect of the book. It made it a littler more lighthearted. 

This book was so short. It did not take me long to finish it, which is why I wanted more backstory to the characters and setting. Holding Court could have benefitted from being longer. In fact, I did not want it to end. I loved The Princess Bride references and of course the fact that the story took place in a medieval dinner theater. I just wish more time had been spent on backstories. 

Holding Court was a cute story that although was not perfect, it was still well done. Hopefully if there is a sequel K.C. Held will be a little more detailed. 

                           




No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top