ARC Review: Bookishly Ever After

Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira

Publication Date: January 12th, 2016
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Series: Ever After #1
Format: e-PUB
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 2.5-3 Stars
Buy it here: Amazon

Goodreads Description: 
In a perfect world, sixteen-year-old Phoebe Martins’ life would be a book. Preferably a YA novel with magic and a hot paranormal love interest. Unfortunately, her life probably wouldn’t even qualify for a quiet contemporary. But when Phoebe finds out that Dev, the hottest guy in the clarinet section, might actually have a crush on her, she turns to her favorite books for advice. Phoebe overhauls her personality to become as awesome as her favorite heroines and win Dev’s heart. But if her plan fails, can she go back to her happy world of fictional boys after falling for the real thing?


My Review: 
Thank you Netgalley and Spencer Hill Contemporary for granting me access to this title in exchange for an honest review.

This was more like a 2.5-3 star for me. It was cute, but I feel like it was way over the top. The main character, Phoebe, was way more than a book nerd. She was a fangirl to the extreme. She was so out of touch with reality that she resorted to dating tips from her favorite books. It was awkward, especially since for 90% of the book she could not tell when the love interest was interested in her! Who is that oblivious? I know she practically lived in her books, but come on. 


Phoebe also frequently got upset at herself when she did not use a phrase or do some look that her favorite book characters would have done. I wanted to shake her and tell her that it was not that serious! For someone so smart, Phoebe was a little dense. 

Another thing that was slightly annoying was the fact that Dev and Phoebe kept flirting throughout the book but nothing really happened until the last few pages. It did cause the book to drag a bit too much. 

I liked Dev. He was cute and sweet without being the typical YA love interest. I do think he had way more patience than most guys would have in his situation. 

I did enjoy the writing style and excerpts from the fictional books Phoebe was reading. I wish I could read them! Isabel hit the nail on the head when she was describing bookworms and fangirls. The quote about book boyfriends vs. real boyfriends is so true to us readers: 


“Too bad real boyfriends aren't as awesome as book boyfriends.”


All in all I think if I was younger I might have enjoyed this more but it was a little too cheesy for my tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Follow
Back to Top